More than a hundred people have tested positive for coronavirus and a nationwide manhunt is on for suspected cases after a large religious gathering at Delhi’s Nizamuddin that has emerged as a virus hotspot with links to seven COVID-19 deaths. Nearly 2,100 people have been evacuated from “Markaz Nizamuddin”, the Delhi headquarters of the Tablighi Jamaat group, since Sunday and at least 441 in Delhi have shown symptoms of the virus. In the middle of a national lockdown, hundreds of people had been staying at the facility for weeks.
Over 1,100 are now quarantined in different parts of the city and lanes near the religious centre have been taped off by officials in hazmat suits. A police case has been filed against the mosque administration. The home ministry has instructed states to track down Tablighi members who travelled to various parts of the country after the two-day gathering on March 8-10.
50 have tested positive in Tamil Nadu, 24 in Delhi, 21 in Telangana, 18 in Andhra Pradesh, 10 in Andamans and one each in Assam and Kashmir after attending the gathering. 824 foreigners had also travelled to different states and their details had been shared with the police chiefs, the home ministry said.
We all need to understand and appreciate that this is not the time to do fault finding. What is important for us is to take action as per our containment process in whatever areas we find a case,” said Health Ministry Joint Secretary Lav Aggarwal during a press briefing.
Ignoring all social distancing rules to avoid the deadly coronavirus, hundreds had been staying in the 100-year-old mosque complex, which has a six-floor dormitory, since March 8. On March 21, there were 1,746 in the centre and 216 were foreigners, according to the home ministry.