The government on rejected reports that another lockdown had been recommended from September 25 to curb the spread of the coronavirus in the country. The news was denied by Press Information Bureau in a post with a “Fake News” alert.
Some Reports on social media suggested that the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) had recommended the Centre to impose another lockdown from September 25 have gone viral on social media, along with a screenshot claiming to be of the NDMA’s order.
“In order to contain the spread of Covid-19 and decrease the mortality rate in the country, the National Disaster Management Authority, along with the Planning commission, hereby urges the government of India and directs the Prime Minister office, ministry of home affairs to re-impose a strict nationwide lockdown of 46 days starting from midnight September 25, 2020. Maintaining the supply chain of essential commodities in the country, therefore hereby NDMA is issuing a prior notice to the ministry to plan accordingly,” said the “order”.
PIB tweeted that the NDMA ‘order’ in circulation was fake.
“Claim: An order purportedly issued by National Disaster Management Authority claims that it has directed the government to re-impose a nationwide lockdown from 25th September. PIB Fact Check: This order is Fake. NDMA has not issued any such order to re-impose lockdown,” PIB tweeted.
Talk of another strict lockdown has emerged alongside a spike in coronavirus cases. India, the world’s second worst-hit, has more than 48 lakh infections. Over the past few days, there have been over 90,000 cases daily.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said despite “unlock” measures to open up the economy, citizens must follow all precautions including masks and social distancing until a vaccine is found.