- Slew of other activities rolled out by MCG to encourage citizen participation in Swachh Survekshan 2018
- Citizens encouraged to follow and adopt best sanitation practices in their daily life
Municipal Corporation of Gurugram today announced Shri Shekhar Gurera, renowned cartoonist from Gurugram as the official cartoonist (Brand Ambassador for cartoons) for Swachh Survekshan 2018.
The engagement would entail Shri. Shekhar Gurera contributing a series of cartoons around various aspects of cleanliness. The aim is to sensitize citizens to follow best sanitation practices through unique medium of cartoons. Additionally, the cartoons will also appeal citizens to actively participate in the ongoing Swachh Survekshan with their feedback, thus contributing to the city’s ranking.
Speaking on the appointment of Shri Shekhar Gurera, Ms. Anu Sheokand, Joint Commissioner and Nodal officer for Swachh Bharat Mission in Gurugram said, “Municipal Corporation of Gurugram is delighted to have Mr. Gurera onboard us, as the official cartoonist (Brand Ambassador for cartoons) for Swachh Survekshan 2018. Being a distinguished citizen of Gurugram and a renowned cartoonist, we are confident that his cartoon designs will help us take the message of cleanliness to the citizens in a creative manner. I appreciate his voluntary support in our efforts to sensitize citizens around cleanliness and most importantly encouraging them to actively participate in Swachh Survekshan 2018. I also urge citizens to keep their surroundings clean and participate in Swachh Survekshan 2018. Its only when the corporation and citizens work hand-in-hand, we can together realize the Swachh Gurugram vision.”
The cartoon designs touch upon various elements of cleanliness and Swachh Bharat Mission including Waste Segregation, Open Defecation Free and following other best practices like saying no to plastics, keeping the surroundings clean etc.
Speaking on his appointment as the official cartoonist (Brand Ambassador for cartoons) for Swachh Survekshan 2018 for Gurugram, Shri. Shekhar Gurera said, “I am happy to support Municipal Corporation of Gurugram’s initiatives to create awareness around cleanliness and sanitation and essentially participation in Swachh Survekshan 2018. I believe that each and every citizen of Gurugram should come forward and participate in the ambitious and noble Swachh Bharat Mission program. Cartoons have a unique way to inspire people and often have a profound impact on the on-lookers. I hope my contribution of cartoon designs will help in sensitizing citizens to follow healthy sanitation practices and to maintain cleanliness. It’s also my appeal to the citizens of the city to come forward and participate in Swachh Survekshan 2018.”
“In countries like Japan, cartoons are an evolved and effective communication medium for the government to interact with the citizens. Cartoon characters and comic strips are used to develop civic sense and awareness around cleanliness. I am happy that this unique medium is now increasingly being explored in India as well,” he added.
The cartoons will be used to reach the citizens of Gurugram through social media and other conventional means including hoardings. Municipal Corporation of Gurugram is also adopting other means to reach the citizens with the message of cleanliness. Some of the efforts include:
- Effectively leveraging MCG’s social media properties – Facebook and Twitter to reach the social media follower community with messages around cleanliness, sanitation and participation in Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- Widespread placement of hoardings and displays around Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- Partnering with NGOs like Saahas to sensitize RWAs and citizens around cleanliness and Swachh Surveksahn 2018. For instance, with support from Saahas, last week the residents of Palms, South City – 1 Gurugram were involved in various activities like Swachhata Pledge, games themed around waste segregation and on-ground awareness around the process for participating in Swachh Survekshan 2018.